Monday, September 3, 2012

Soupy Saturday

I know today isn't Saturday, but I seem to always make soups on Saturdays in the fall. Who loves fall? It is my favorite season, no doubt about it! I love the smells, the beautiful colors, the weather, the football, and the pumpkin spice latte. Um, yum!

Since Brett is still a student (3 more months PTL!) Saturdays are really our only days to spend together, if one of us isn't working. So when fall comes I make it an effort to make soups on Saturdays. One because Brett loves soup, and two it always seems to simple! Saturdays are filled with intramural football, cleaning, watching college football, and usually having friends over at our apartment.

This recipe is easy, but I will warn you make it right before you are going to eat it. The longer it will sit the more it will thicken. Which isn't bad, but some people (aka my hubby) don't like really really thick soup. I don't have a specific name for this soup other than plain old potato soup, so we're going to call it Pot-Pot soup. I'm actually pretty excited because this recipe is my very own, of course I searched a million recipes but I found my own mixture of what I'd like. Enjoy!!

Pot-Pot soup.


5 russet potatoes
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
6 cups whole milk
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup green onion
sour cream, bacon and whatever else to load it up!

1. Chop up the potatoes and fully cook over boiling water for about 20-25 minutes or until soft.

2. Drain potatoes, take half of potatoes and mash with fork or potato masher, leave other half chopped.

3. In a stock pot melt the butter and whisk in the flour until golden brown (about 2 minutes)

4. Add the milk in slowly, continue to whisk and whisk bottom of the pan as well.

5. Cook mixture until thickened (about 6-8 minutes)

6. Add the potato mashed and diced pieces, salt, pepper, and cheddar and stir until cheese if fully melted.

7. Add the green onions and stir.

8. Remove from Heat and serve!!

Remember to add all the yummy toppings that makes it sooo good!!

Maybe it's still a little too hott out for this recipe, but remember it in the next couple weeks!!




Peace, Love and A Fine Frenzy.

Enjoy your labor day!

-Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment